Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Homesick


Kind of a depressing way to start my brand new blog, but I want to keep it short so that I can go shopping (this is kind of my cure-all for any sad/mad/depressed mood). I am staying at the Marina House hostel in Dun Laoghaire. I still have to google Dun Laoghaire everytime I type it out, eventually I will learn how to spell it. . . It is a cute little hostel and I have an 8-bed room all to myself for €16 (I still have to google the Euro sign too, eventually I'll figure it out :p). However, last night was the first night I have spent all by myself, and I think this solitude, combined with my inability to sleep through a full night in Ireland due to jet lag, my lack of internship and permanent housing, and FINALLY coming to a realization that I am so far from home have left me with a touch of homesickness. Perhaps because all of my plans were so last minute in coming here, it really didn't even occur to me that I may get homesick. I have been far from home before, for extended periods of time, but I have never been alone. Lucky for me I have a great support network both in Oregon and in Dun Laoghaire, all who are only a phone call away. I also realize that this is a completely natural progression in the adjustment period and I will get over soon (nothing I can't handle). Anyway, that is where i am now. Literally almost every moment of the trip so far has been amazing, so far I have been to Dublin and Wicklow. Ireland is beautiful, and I don't know what all of this talk of rain was, it has been amazingly sunny every day. Today's weather is expected to be a high of 22, which means almost nothing to me, but I think that is sunny :p. I had my first internship interview yesterday, for an amazing company that I am really hoping I can get in with. I think it is shopping time now though, so I will go. I am choosing not to post the link to this blog until my next entry, I don't want to worry everyone, and there are so many more emotions here than loneliness, it would be a shame to start off on only this one! To showcase a brighter note, here are a few of my favorite words/phrases so far:

"what's the craic"
"mind your guinness", "mind your head", "mind the step", etc..
colossal
bullocks
brilliant, brilliant, brilliant
D4!


No comments:

Post a Comment